I get asked all the top how to stay lean for marathon training. I’ve been on both spectrums. I am no pro but have learned some from experience.
Here are just a few tips:
1. Interval training: this is going to help no matter what you’re training for. Add some speed or strides. You’re body needs to stay challenged.
2. Change things up. Cross training is a game changer!! Lift weights, yoga, HIIT workouts, cycle, etc. Your muscles adapt to running so working other muscles will keep you more fit, as well as sharpen your running form and make you faster.
3. Increase your protein! Preserve that lean muscle. This will keep you satiated and it’s great for helping recover after runs and workouts!
4. You run one long run a week and burn all the calories. That does not give you a free pass the rest of the week to eat more carbs. This does however mean you need to eat ENOUGH to keep your body recovered all week. Remember, calories in vs calories out.
Side note: eating enough means your body will not burn the muscle for energy.
5. I make sure I drink BCAAs, electrolytes, and keep fired up from a good preworkout. Hydration is KEY.
6. Sleep. Your body needs to recover.
7. Every run has a purpose. A plan is always good to follow because it reminds you to keep some runs easy and some runs a little harder. It also forces you to have a rest day. This structure aids in keeping you healthy, mentally and physically.
Hope these help! Running is a lot more that just a daily run. Stretch, hydrate, workout, run, strengthen, sleep, repeat.
What has helped you??